Monday, November 24, 2014

therapy, a barn sale, and moving along

I'll be honest with you, I'd been hesitating about doing a post these past couple of
weeks. My life has pretty much been consumed with physical therapy appointments every
weekday. I had mentioned in earlier posts that I was having another medical problem, but
I didn't want to get into too many details on my blog. Long story short, I have primary
lymphedema in my left arm and "they" (doctors, therapists) have no idea why. In the meantime,
I am going through lymph drainage therapy. It's not anything painful, just time consuming. And
the first five days my arm was bandaged in five layers from hand to armpit. Now I'm wearing
a compression sleeve during the day and what I call the "oven mitt" at night. Yes, it's as
uncomfortable and hot as it looks. I'm just thankful I'm having to wear these things while our
weather is cold and not in the middle of summer. I think Monkey is just as perplexed about this
contraption as I am.

So, I felt I had nothing to write about. All over Blogland, people were decorating and
crafting and sewing and cooking and remodeling - and I was doing nothing except going
to therapy and keeping the household stuff going. Reminds me of the old 70's skit from
Cheech and Chong - Sister Mary Elephant. Any of you remember that? Though my
version would be, "The first day of the week, I woke up. Then I went downtown
 to go to physical therapy. Then I went and hung out at home.The second day of the week,
 I woke up. Then I went downtown to go to physical therapy. Then I went and hung out at
home. The third day of the week...
SHUT UP!!"
 

So, life picked up a little bit this weekend and one of the fun things I got to do
was to go to a huge barn sale with a friend of mine at a place called Ginger Blossom
in the far reaches of northwest Illinois. Ginger (yes, Ginger Blossom is her real name)
travels the world and brings back tons of things to sell from her farm: furniture, rugs,
clothing, scarves, dishes, household decor, ethnic and tribal collectibles, drums,
masks, ethnic jewelry, etc.  
 

It was a cold, rainy, dreary day and we got wet and muddy, but we sure had lots
of fun. The pathway to the barn was lined with bare trees covered in lights.
 

Some of the interesting things inside the barn included these Buddhas.
 

I loved all the glassware from Mexico. Someday, I'd like to go back and perhaps get
a set of drinking glasses or wine glasses. They were reasonably priced, at $5 each. 


As you can see, the barn is packed from the floor to the rafters with all kinds
of goods. I really liked those baskets you see in the background, too.
 

The grounds had paths all around that led from one little cottage to the next,
with each cottage stuffed with goodies. My only purchase was a pretty red scarf
from India (only $5!) and then a jar of raw honey and a couple of blocks of homemade
artisan cheese from a local vendor. I told my friend that when I go to places like this,
I get shopping ADD. I get too overwhelmed by all the pretty things and stuff I like
 and then can't make a choice. 






Moving on to today, I know that this week will be a busy one for most of us in the US with
Thanksgiving being this Thursday. I did my grocery shopping this morning, then came home
to start a big pot of split pea soup. I also made cranberry-orange muffins, a pan of my
homemade granola, and a pan of roasted spiced mixed nuts.


 Snow moved in this afternoon and I spied Mr. Squirrel out my living room window enjoying
 a little snack ~ one of the last mini pumpkins I left outside for the squirrel's enjoyment. 


  Here's to a good week!


32 comments:

  1. Love Monkey's face, Melanie. I hope you are on the mend and back to using your arm again soon. Loved the squirrel photo. "Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family." Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have complete use of my arm, so that part is no problem. Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Well, like you, I haven't been decorating. I've been holed up in my bedroom with quilts with the pupsters. Had my first PT today. I've never heard of what you've got. I hope things are okay really soon. Love the squirrel pic! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people are familiar with Lymphedema. I think I'll do another blog post about it soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Brenda.

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie. Is it the same arm as the rotator cuff tear. Did you have surgery on your shoulder. I have heard of this with people having mastectomys. My surgeon expected this to happen to me when I had cancer in my leg but it didn't. I have seen ladies with this. It has to be pretty uncomfortable. I hope the therapy helps.
    I am having therapy on my shoulder because of the rotator cuff. It is helping alot.
    Good luck. Don't worry about decoratng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the same arm as the rotator cuff tear, but it has nothing to do with the lymphedema. And no, I didn't have surgery - just lots of physical therapy. You are right - lymphedema in the arm is common after breast cancer surgery. That is called secondary lymphedema. I have primary...most likely hereditary and/or late-onset. Rare!

      Delete
  4. Love, Love, Love the squirrel and pumpkin photo . . .
    Do be well and feel tip top very soon!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynne - and happy Thanksgiving to you, as well!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem, and hope it corrects itself soon. The arm thing would be terribly hate in summer, and now you'll have at least one warm arm! You should just post about whats going on, even it it's nothing! I hope you feel better soon! Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be wearing this hot sleeve at night plus I'm wearing a compression sleeve during the day and both items will probably be for a loong time, so I'm not looking forward to either one of them in the summer! Happy Thanksgiving, Cathy.

      Delete
  6. Hi Melanie,

    So sorry to hear about this latest health challenge, but I see it hasn't stopped you from being your usual, active self, regarding cooking, baking, and hunting for treasures - in this case, also selling some of your own treasures! Seems that a very savvy hunter and gatherer in your neck of the woods has also chanced upon a seasonal goody! That pic is precious!!

    Hope you are on the mend and wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your well wishes, Poppy - and I did indeed have a happy Thanksgiving. :-)

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this, it is not nice at all is it. I hope that the therapy works and that you are very much on the mend very soon. I am glad that you took the time for a day out and enjoyed yourself in all of this. The glasses are lovely aren't they! Take care of yourself my dear and don't ever feel that you have to share here if you don't want to, but please don't feel that you cannot share either, it might not be the most thrilling of things, but it is real life and we are here and care and will support you as best as we can! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love visiting places like this "shop"; what a wonderful selection of finds. Also, I just want to encourage you to only blog when you feel like it and not to feel that you have a "deadline" to meet. We'll be here waiting for you when you're ready to speak --- about whatever is on your mind. Have a great thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy. Such sweet comments.

      Delete
  9. I'm like you Melanie. When there's so much to see, I can't decide what to buy! It's fun to just go look and come home with something small, don't you think? I hope your therapy is helping. It must be hard to work in the kitchen with your problem, but you are way ahead of me! I've got today off to prepare for Thanksgiving and then I work tomorrow, so I better get going! I love the shot of the squirrel munching on his treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working in the kitchen actually isn't too bad...the daytime compression sleeve does cover my hand up to my knuckles, but I'm allowed to peel it back over to my wrist so I can expose my hand for washing and food prep. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  10. I love that photo of the squirrel! You should consider using it as a greeting card. I'm sorry to hear about your therapy and medical issues, especially the new one. I really hope all that is behind you soon. The barn sale looks amazing! I would love to go to a place like that. I understand just what you mean about not being able to choose. That always happens to me when I go to an antiques market or even some yard sales! It's the sign of a discriminating mind, maybe. :) I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea about using the squirrel photo on a greeting card! Unfortunately, lymphedema is something that will probably always be with me, but it can be managed.

      Delete
  11. Yes hope you are feeling better soon. I would love to go to that sale. Right up my alley. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheech & Chong, now that's throwing it way back. Gosh, very strange about your arm. I was just reading up on the diagnosis, which can be inherited or caused after having breast cancer treatment. I sure hope you are able to get it under control. The squirrel with the tiny pumpkin is soooooooooo cute. And I just love the set up that Ginger has. What a fantastic place to visit and shop. Glad you had a day out. Best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving,Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dated myself with that Cheech and Chong mention, didn't I? I'm glad I got a fun day out, too - I needed it.

      Delete
  13. I hope you'll feel better soon. I love that you took a picture of your mitten! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that contraption does look hot and uncomfortable...I hope everything that the therapists are doing works and you can discard that asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a long time until I can get rid of that nighttime garment, unfortunately. Maybe I'll actually get used to it, huh?

      Delete
  15. I'm so sorry about your arm, but I am glad to hear that the therapy sessions aren't painful. It's a wonder you were able to make so many goodies and my goodness, those photos looked good enough to eat right off the computer. At least you were able to get out and do a little shopping and I do love that picture of the squirrel. It definitely put a smile on my face. Feel better and enjoy your weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to get caught up on some cooking and baking. Glad the photo of the squirrel put a smile on your face! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Dee.

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry you are dealing with that medical business. I don't know a lot about the condition, but I always thought it was associated with breast cancer aftermath. As a matter of fact, by step mother was just taken to the ER with a hot, feverish arm and kept over night! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Yes, arm lymphedema is most commonly associated with the aftermath of breast cancer surgery, since that's when lymph nodes are removed and then the arm usually swells. Since I've never had breast cancer nor any surgery, etc., they are diagnosing it as primary lymphedema - a rare form which can show up later in life.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!