Friday, February 23, 2018

purifying houseplants

Several people have asked me to write about houseplants and which ones purify the air in your house. Since I'm a plant lover, I was more than happy to do a little research and oblige.






Unfortunately, many of the things in our home ~ particle board, paneling, printing ink, paint, paint varnish and remover, paper napkins and facial tissue, furniture wax, floor waxes, synthetic fibers and plastics ~ are filled with toxins such as trichloroethylene, formaldehyde, benzene and ammonia. Some of the side effects of these toxins on humans can include headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, irritation of the nose, mouth and throat, drowsiness, increased heart rate, confusion, and liver and kidney damage. Of course, this all depends on factors such as the amount you are exposed to, and the amount of time you're exposed.

Some of the more common and easy-to-care-for plants that help purify the air are:

Spider plant




Draceana


(Source: Home Depot)

Ficus


(Source: Gardening Know How)


Peace Lily


(Source: Walmart)


Snake Plant


The tall plant in the large white pot in front of the fireplace is Snake Plant, also known as Mother-in-Law's Tongue.


This is also a Snake Plant, but a much smaller version. I found this one at IKEA.




Bamboo Palm



(Source: Gardening Know How)


Philodendron




As with any houseplants, if you have pets that might eat these, please check before you buy to make sure the plant isn't poisonous to pets.

Happy weekend!


12 comments:

  1. I love plants in a house. This year I overwintered my window boxes of geraniums in a sunny window in our house and they have just been a joy to look at on these cold, dreary days. You did a nice post here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several of the plants you listed and always try to have plants in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more of an outside plant girl but these are great plant ideas. I am thinking of doing some smaller plants in my kitchen. So thanks for the ideas. Happy Weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only been the past year that I've had houseplants that are thriving. Probably because I am a lot better about their care. My mother would enjoy the fact that I've finally developed a green thumb after all these years. I don't have many plants, but I'm looking forward to adding to my collection. I like the pots that you have for yours, especially the one in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plants are gorgeous. Most of mine are outside and they have to stay there with the puppies and Little Buddy. I miss them inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, how did I not know this? Very interesting although, I have been slightly terrified of having house plants since I lost a beloved kitty to one after he ate one that turned out to be toxic. I should do some research and give them a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am linking to this in my Amazon plant post (yes, they sell live plants now). I need a spider plant. That is my next "get".
    Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing!! I just got a brand new planter and wanted to add something to it, but I am terrible with plants. Now I have some great choices. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luckily my dogs have never taken to the house plants. I guess most every plant is good for this, but I don't know.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate to think of all of those toxins being in the house. Houseplants are a pretty way to combat some of their effects. Your little snake plant is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a spider plant that I bought after the kitchen was done as it's the only room where particle boards were used... It did very well and I had many baby spider plants, so now I have some in every room of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jingles loves to eat my spider plants and no pony palm ever lasts because of her nibbling ways. :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!