Wednesday, February 14, 2018

mid-february ~ snow and valentine's day dinner fail

 We got a whopping of snow this past weekend. It didn't seem to stop. Every day, there was a fresh layer. It looked pretty at first, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to shovel, as both Brian and Tim were around when the porch, sidewalk and driveway need shoveling.




 As pretty as the freshly fallen snow is, there's also the reality side (besides the shoveling). For all of you in warm climates that don't get snow, here's what the garage looks like after a snow-covered car has been parked there. Why they didn't build this garage with a drain in the floor is beyond me.


And then there's the snow mountains on the sides of the driveway that seem like they'll never melt.


However, today dawned beautiful and sunny and it's now 40 degrees. I can't tell you how good that temp feels after being used to temps in the single digits. The birds were actually out in droves at the feeder this morning and they were chirping and singing. A sound I hadn't heard in months. You don't realize how delightful that sound is until it's new to you again. I opened the living room window so the kitties could see and hear the birds, too. Bonus: The house got a nice airing-out.


So, it's Valentine's Day. No big deal around my house, really. We just exchange cards and I like to make a nice dinner.



I had that nice dinner all planned. I was going to make the pork tenderloin recipe found here along with combo-mashed potatoes (sweet and Yukon Gold potatoes) and steamed broccoli. I even remembered to take the pork tenderloin out of the freezer last night to thaw. I'm so organized, right? Yay, me.


Ha! I went online this afternoon to check the cooking instructions for the pork tenderloin. I wanted to see how long it was going to take to put together and cook in the oven, as I wanted to time it with the mashed potatoes. That's when I found out it was a Crockpot recipe! I was supposed to put the pork in the Crockpot this morning. Oops.

Looks like pizza or Chinese take-out for our Valentine's Day dinner!
😍


14 comments:

  1. I am chuckling at the outcome of your well-planned Valentine's dinner. That sounds like something I have done on more than one occasion. Perhaps you will be ahead of the game tomorrow. That is always nice.
    Your photo of the garage floor brought back memories of my Michigan days. I had forgotten all about those huge chunks that fall of the car. We have so few snowfalls here that I usually don't even have to go out when it happens.
    I love all of the Valentine's Day decorations around your home and the kitties on their perches is so sweet.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the crockpot recipe! Enjoy your balmy 40 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of snow! Pork tenderloin only takes about 25 minutes in a regular oven ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done that a time or two, with the dinner planning:( Enjoy it all tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. “The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. . .
    Been there and done that, LOL.
    We got 3 or 4 inches of snow yesterday . . . that's the most we have seen all year. Last year we had it all winter long. Isn't it funny how different each year can be, especially around here.
    Wishing you a early spring!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you enjoy a nice dinner at home! Even if it is pizza cause the recipe was for the crock pot...been there, done that. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chinese or pizza sounds good. Plus, you deserve a night off.

    I also hate when the inside of the car floors get so gross. I hate winter. This winter more than most, but in general, yes. HATE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pretty valentines in the basket. Sorry about you not having your pork tenderloin for Valentine's day but I am sure just being together was wonderful. I am so tired of looking at our snow. Now the 18 inches we got is melting and all that snow is making the backyard a muddy mess for Miss Peggy to go out. Ugh I really want to have Summer! Have a great Thursday.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never have dinner fails - that's because I don't cook.

    The worst fail Steve had was making a rabbit dish and using chartreuse. The chartreuse gave it the worst taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would absolutely love cooking your Pork Tenderloin using a Sous Vide, Melanie - I haven't cooked it any other way since I got mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitties are so cute there in the window watching the birds.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your picture of the white snow 'caps' on the plants. We can always find some beauty even in nasty winter. I agree with putting drains in garage floors! That dirty melting snow makes a big mess. We are supposed to get freezing rain tonight and about 1/2" new snow. I am so thankful I don't have to go anywhere! I can't wait to hear the birds singing here either! I can't begin to count how many times I have forgotten to start the crockpot meals. However, I have either thawed the meat a little in the microwave first, or even put in crockpot frozen and set it on high for a couple of hours before turning down to low.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your recipe turned out great in the crockpot the next day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you getting any flooding from all that melting snow, with endless rain on top of it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!