Wednesday, November 22, 2017

thanksgiving food prep, a pretty little store, and gratefulness

I am not hosting Thanksgiving this year; my sister is. But, of course, me and my mom help out by cooking and bringing food. This year I'm making cranberry relish (made with maple syrup and orange juice); corn pudding casserole; green bean casserole (not the one made with cream of mushroom soup and canned fried onions; I avoid prepared foods with artificial ingredients whenever possible...I found a recipe on the internet where you make your own creamy sauce and crunchy onion topping); glazed carrots with maple syrup, orange juice, and rosemary; and for an appetizer - dill pickle dip. You gotta try this dip. It's incredibly addicting.


I prepared and chopped so many vegetables today, my hand was actually sore. This is two pounds of green beans that I snapped and then cut in half for the green bean casserole.


Here's something that wasn't part of my food prep plans. This is what happens when you're not being mindful and rushing around. I went outside onto my front porch to throw the carrot scraps to the birds and squirrels. I lost my footing and started to fall. The wooden railing scraped the underside of my arm when I was falling. Could've been much worse, so I'm grateful this was my only injury. 


Even though I don't decorate my house for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, I do enjoy looking at the Christmas decor in stores around this time. For those of you who live in the area, there's a new store in East Dundee, IL called Midwest Retro. I ended up buying a pair of handmade lined wool mittens (not pictured) that are so warm! I really needed them. All I had was a couple of pairs of cheap, not-warm-enough gloves.




 I am grateful for those of you out there who take the time to read my little blog, leave comments, and email me. I am so blessed by your friendship.
Thank you. 💗

13 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanking! Enjoy your time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am heading to that store with my mom!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy thanksgiving!!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's late, but I'll still wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. It looks and sounds like you were having some delicious dishes.

    Glad you scrape wasn't any worse than it was.

    Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving, Melanie! I hope it's been a wonderful day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make the same cranberry sauce and it's SO good I could eat the whole bowl full myself. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving dinner with your family, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, Melanie. Like you, I wait until after Thanksgiving to decorate, but I do love looking at Christmas things in the stores. I guess it's kind of early for some people, but I enjoy it. Your green bean casserole sounds really good. I've never been a fan of the usual recipe with canned soup, but wouldn't mind trying something different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I admit it. That Christmas shop makes me want to shop there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness that store looks like my kind of place. Probably a good thing it's not closer! I love snapping beans...it takes me back to my childhood every time. I'm glad your fall wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your injury, but happy that you didn't land on your knee. That store looked like a fun place to browse for special treasures and to shop for gift giving.
    Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't even think of Christmas decorating until after Thanksgiving like you. That store is a treat :) Glad that your injury wasn't worse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Thanksgiving menu sounds delicious and right up my alley. I often wonder if I'm the only one who cringes at the traditional green bean casserole. Yuck! I hope you enjoyed your healthier version.
    Yikes to your injury. Hope it is healing up nicely by now.
    I enjoyed tagging along to that darling shop. Cute things there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!