Wednesday, June 21, 2017

the first day of summer, self-care, and a vintage plant stand

 We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day for the first day of summer. Temps were in the 70's F with low humidity. I was carless today - Tim had to borrow my car to go to work, as his car was in the shop. Normally I hate being without a car as there's rarely a day I'm not running out somewhere, whether it be errands or physical therapy. I also don't like the feeling of being without a car at my disposal - just in case of an emergency or I have a hankering to go somewhere. However, today being carless turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I got so much done both inside the house and out in the yard.


I did some light housework and laundry, then spent two hours outside thoroughly cleaning the patio, repotting some plants, spray painting a few decor items, and cleaning out a small area in the garage.

But, best of all, I took the time for some self-care. I did my PT exercises and light yoga and then I actually got on my bike for the first time since my knee surgery. I could've rode sooner - it wasn't a physical thing - but I've either been off and running somewhere, or the weather was too hot. Unfortunately, I think there's something wrong with the gears on the bike, so I'm going to have Brian take a look at it. If he can't figure it out, it's going into the bike shop. I want to make bike riding a regular thing since it's good for my knee.


After all that sweaty work, I took a bath, shaved my legs, and painted my toenails. Then
I had my late morning smoothie on the front porch while reading Denise Levertov poetry. Now that was relaxing. I need to take the time to do things like that more often. I'm a very high-energy person and always doing something. That's a good thing in its own way - I mean, I'm glad I have a lot of energy most days - but as someone who also has high anxiety, I have to remember that it's also good to take a little time to relax and do something calming.


In other news, this past weekend I stopped by a favorite antique shop to see what kind of outdoor goodies they had. 


For a little shop, I sure wasn't disappointed. I was looking around, liking what I saw but nothing really striking me as "have to have for my yard".

 

All of a sudden, I saw this plant stand. I knew it would be perfect for my patio. I had been looking for a metal plant stand all season, but with no luck. For several years, I was using a wicker shelving unit that I got a long time ago at a thrift store. From being exposed to the elements all those years, it was peeling and worn, with the bottom shelf falling apart. 


Here's the plant stand in its new home - on my patio. 
I think it's just perfect. :-)


Happy Summer!

14 comments:

  1. Yes, that plant stand is perfect and you have fixed it up so cute. Love it!
    Good to hear that you are feeling up to riding a bike. Your day sounds very productive. Sometimes it can be a good thing to be forced into carlessness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I took a bath, shaved my legs, and painted my toenails." That sweet friend sounds like heaven . . . I haven't had a bath for way too long, LOL Always in a hurry and taking a quick shower, but baths are so relaxing. I enjoy painting my toenails in the summer because I am always in sandals . . . but I haven't done it yet. I think that I am going to take a cue from you and treat myself to a relaxing day. Life is too short to not pamper ourselves now and then.
    Your plant stand is perfect and I really like the way you added cheerful colors and playful elements as well as plants.
    Happy Summer.
    Connie:)
    P.S. I'm so happy that your knee is well and that you can ride your bike . . . these are the pleasures that we look forward to all winter when we are shoveling snow. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about not having a car at your disposal. I know I can always call one of my kids who live close if hubby needs my car but it's that 'thing'~~~your independence. Still, you made the best of your day. Now tell me how you got all of those things accomplished by late morning if you didn't wake up at 3 a.m? You are a dynamo. I am pitiful until about 10 in the morning!

    Love your garden stand. I saw a few things in the picture I would have snapped up. Then again I'm supposed to be downsizing!!! ;-D

    Love your garden...it is original and cozy looking. Happy Summer!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love days like you had yesterday. Your plants look great and I love your new plant stand. I've been itching to buy myself a bike. I keep telling myself that's something I will do for exercise. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your backyard is amazing. I think you should host a blogger lunch there. HINT HINT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had such a good day. It feels good to accomplish some tasks, take time for yourself and rest! I love that plant stand! What a great find. I would love one to display my vintage pottery on! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great plant stand - and it was there waiting for you to give it a lovely home! Know you will have fun with it the aqua/yellow theme is very pretty.

    Glad your knee is coming along well by sound it Mel. Just be careful on the bike.

    Yes, like you, I don't relax a lot - although I do get my pedicures done at the salon along with my nails every couple f weeks, and that's relaxation for far too long! Always seem to be coming and going, running errands, going to appts. etc. I stayed home yesterday and cooked - soup, veggie black bean chili, a chocolate lava cake! Then washed all my china soup tureens and polished the shelves each side of the fireplace where I display them - then did laundry. I love days like that!

    Have a lovely weekend - hope your weather continues to be lovely - too warm here of course, the heat of summer is upon us!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a very successful shopping day and a relaxing first day of summer. I am looking forward to a few of those. Maybe in July after the scurry of school has ended!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day you had and your plant stand looks wonderful in it's new home.

    Happy summer ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hostas are amazing! :) Clearly very happy there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new plant stand. I actually love when I am stranded at home, it is a cozy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute little plant stand.

    Have fun this summer riding your bike and strenghening your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a perfect way to spend the day. Like you, I'm in my car a lot and don't often spend a day not going out somewhere. Your mention of Denise Levertov takes me back in time. It's been years since I've read her poetry. It would be interesting to re-read some of it now. Time and experience has a way of making old books new again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that plant stand, you were lucky to find it before it was snapped up! Those blue and yellow pots look so nice on it now. I also enjoyed going back and seeing more of your lovely garden. We don't have any hostas here, had many at our old place and I sure do miss them. They're on our long plant list now. Melanie, what are those columnar evergreens behind your eating area outdoors? I love them.

    Yes, being carless can be a blessing with no distractions. I rarely leave but it's a comfort knowing my car is there if I want to.

    I hope you do get your bicycle fixed soon, especially if it's good for your knee.

    June's almost over, I hope the last few days of it are lovely for you,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!