Friday, May 13, 2016

food with friends: the art of simple gatherings ~ a review




This cookbook has a lovely premise: celebrating life with friends and/or family around your table and not expecting perfection, just love and fun. 

The author, Leela Cyd is a photographer for Food and Wine, Sweet Paul, The New York Times and Kinfolk, and a contributor to the kitchn

While the book is well-written and filled with beautiful photography, most of the recipes are a little obscure for the average home cook.


 I love to cook and am not a stranger to trying new recipes and even using new-to-me ingredients, but recipes with ingredients such as bee pollen, matcha powder, fresh curry leaves, chickpea flour, oat groats and edible flowers make me quickly turn the page, looking for a recipe with ingredients that I know are easily found. Thus said, there are some doable recipes in this book. Steel-Cut Oats With Toppings sounds simple; so does Sweet and Salty Pumpkin Seed Clusters, Assorted Spa Waters, Black and White Cookies, Spice-Roasted Chickpeas and Toasted Nuts with Lemon, Thyme and Chili.


I received Food With Friends - That Art of Simple Gatherings from Blogging for Books for my honest, personal opinion review.



11 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting cookbook...lots of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to check this one out!! Thanks for your honest review, Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy cookbooks with simple easy to find ingredients, we live in a small town and do not have the exotic ingredients available as a larger city would have. Then again, I do not know if I would used them if I could get them . . . I'm an old fashioned comfort food cook. I enjoy spicy food, but I keep it simple :) I do enjoy a great Pot Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, nothing I would seek out. I'm a creature of habit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT looks beautiful but I really can't cook so I would not purchase it for myself, but maybe for my husband who loves to putter in the kitchen.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat the same thing over and over again. Cookbook is such a foreign word to me lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, you are not afraid to try new recipes! I love seeing all the things you create.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I can always come here and see new and interesting (and healthy!) recipes from you, Melanie. I enjoy seeing what you make. This does look like an interesting book; I agree that some of the ingredients might be a bit inaccessible for the average home cook, so I'm glad you found some doable recipes to try. I hope you're having a good week so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a boring cook...maybe I need a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of the ingredients would be a special trip buy... and I do love trying new recipes. Some of the recipes do sound good but I would get through the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!