Monday, August 31, 2015

well, hello

 Sorry I've been MIA for a week. No big deal ~ just busy with life. Nothing news-worthy. So, just a random post for now. :-)

 I can't believe it's the last day of August already. I love summer and wish it lasted longer. I know a lot of you out there are excited that it's almost fall and are already decorating for that season. Not me! I'm hanging on to summer as long as possible.


We had fall-like weather last week with the temperatures mostly in the 60's. Leaves are already starting to turn red. The skies were gloomy, the air smelled like that wet blanket of fall, and the neighborhood was eerily quiet during the day with all the kids in school. It was just too soon. Which is perhaps why it's going to be 90 again here all week and the AC is back on.


 I take a walk around my neighborhood most evenings and wanted to share this house with you all. Isn't it cool? I call it the Hansel and Gretel house. Even though I prefer light-filled houses, this one does look like it'd be cozy inside, especially in the winter.


 Master bedroom re-do update...the hardwood flooring is being installed September 11th. I've been touching up the tiny blotches of gray wall paint that got on the ceiling when hubby painted. He used painter's tape, but it didn't work well. And he's not expert enough at painting to do the cutting-in technique. (Not dissing him - I can't do it either!) This trying-to-touch-up is a huge pain. Not as easy as it looks and doesn't work well either. And my neck gets sore from constantly looking up. Let's put it this way: Now I know why we've hired professional painters in the past.


Clementine wanted to help, but I declined her offer.
 

Speaking of kitties, Zippo (on the right) had a senior check-up at the vet last week. He turned 16 in May. He had an exam and blood tests. The blood tests showed slightly elevated BUN and amylase levels which can indicate kidney trouble in cats. A fairly common problem, especially as cats get older, but one you don't want your fur baby to have. He eats a healthy diet, so for now we are trying a digestive enzyme powder in his food. Zippo also has a sinus problem...some fluid in his ear and a tender jaw, so a 1/4 crushed baby aspirin every three days is also going in his food. The vet said this should also help with the arthritis in his back legs. It breaks my heart that he's having these problems. He's been with us since he was about three months old and he is the sweetest, loving, personable cat. I want him to have the longest life possible, but a healthy one, of course. We will do whatever it takes ~ unless he's suffering. Otherwise, he is doing fantastic. He still runs around and plays a bit and has no problems with using the cat box. Now that naughty Monkey on the left...he looks so sweet and innocent snuggled up next to Zippo, doesn't he?


Don't let his cuteness fool you. He's been a naughty boy since day one! He's currently on a waking-mom-up-very-early-in-the-morning kick. And he's very persistent about it. He walks all over me, claws at my covers, rubs his head all over whatever body part is exposed (and if my hand, arm or head isn't exposed, he claws continually at the covers), meows, walks all over the top part of my pillow, jumps on my nightstand and paws at things...and repeat. If I try to push him off the bed, he digs his claws in and won't budge. We can't close the bedroom door - he scratches on it. I even tried squirting him with water from a spray bottle. I hate to say it, but he's umm...rather dumb. He comes right back after I spray him! And then he's all wet and I feel guilty. Sigh. I may have to resort to locking him in the basement at night, but that makes me feel guilty, too because he hates it. He scratches at the door and howls. He's actually destroyed the door from all his scratching. Any other ideas out there from you cat people? Oh - I've done the ignoring thing, too and that hasn't worked either. He's very persistent. 
  

Happy Monday!



18 comments:

  1. Adorable cats!

    I too like houses with more light. We have to have the sun shining in all the time.

    We need to have both our kitchen and our bathroom painted with all the little changes we are making. Neither Steve or I are great at painting walls and then you add in the risk of one of us falling off the ladder. So, we have to pay Mr. Bill to come in. That's why it takes forever to get the house painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos. Happy September, greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitties are all really so lovely. It's hard when they get older but sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep Zippo healthy.Jingles goes through stages. Last week, she did the same thing with waking us up super early and not letting up about it. Don't know what gets into them. She's been very vocal lately, too. During the day, she's not to be seen. Mostly hiding away and sleeping. Have a good week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need more light and I too hate to see summer leaving us. It will e in the 0's here this week too so I am holding on to summer as long as I can. Have a wonderful day, sweet friend. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Melanie, I miss Autumn in the Midwest, you have the most amazing colors there. I agree that that cottage is gorgeous, but looks most perfect for the winter season . . . I can see it snow covered with smoke coming out of the chimney on the cover of a Christmas card :) I'm looking forward to your make-over photos . . . take care and rest your neck and shoulders.
    Have a lovely day and thank you for your sweet blogging friendship.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great photo of Clementine with the paint brush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have more of an autumn season than we do down here in s.e. FL. But, we do have lovely winters. :-)

    I need to paint inside and out and am looking forward to it during the cooler weather.

    Your kitties are sweet looking.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Decorating has been going on here too, it is hard work isn't it!! Love your pretty flowers in the vases on the mat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ww also have been doing remodeling at our home too. A new roof is going on today. I love your kitty pix...I really miss having a kitty. Our sweet one had lots of problems at the end and she was deaf but we loved her just the same. Lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure I'd have Clementine helping you paint. Could get a little messy...I'm with you, the stone cottage is charming, but dark and shady is not my style. I always say that I'd never like one of those homes in the woods surrounded by trees. I hate shade! I want it always to be light and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weather sounds about the same as ours. Of course I couldn't wait to take the air conditioner out of the living room window and now it's the warmest week of the summer! Our daughter's cats do the same thing if they're locked in the basement- scratch at the door and howl. It's easier to just let them walk all over us when we're sleeping. meow

    I can't wait to see your new floors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a cat who would wake me up in the morning. She would walk all over me, purring away. If I didn't get up, she'd poke my face with her claws: not hard enough to scratch but definitely hard enough for me to feel it. If I still didn't get up, she'd start "grooming" my hair close to the scalp, alternately licking it and pulling on it. That hurt worse than the claws-to-the-face bit. It was annoying, but also a little sweet. She'd be so happy when she was doing it. And I'm a morning person anyway, so most of the time it didn't bother me too much. Anyway, I've got no advice for you because I just gave in and let the cat get her way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's back to being hot ,hot and hot. So I'm been crafting in my craft room. Our little one hates being in a closed room, and sometimes when we close our bedroom door she puts her paw under the door and rattles it! sometimes she gets it open then strolls in and chatters until we get up to feed her. Such is life. You must be excited to be getting new floors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your purple flowers are so pretty! How precious Zippo must be to you, and I know his companion is too, except early in the morning.

    We used to paint at the drop of a hat but yes, it does get you in the neck and we just don't do it anymore. The results will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pretty flowers in the jars. They sure do brighten up a room! Yea, it won't start feeling like fall here until October...Maybe late September if we're lucky. I have to put things out when the mood strikes or I lose motivation.
    Have a great holiday weekend, Melanie!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use to have a cat like that and I put it in my sons room LOL

    I hope Zippo is doing better.

    Good luck with the painting. I have so much of it to do myself, but I keep putting it off.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!