Thursday, March 26, 2015

little happies, cute bunnies and naughty cats

 Hi there, hope you're having a good week. The weather here in northern IL has been so cold and gloomy all week. It's more like winter with temperatures in the 30's and gray skies. We still have little piles of snow in the yard and mountains of snow in parking lots. It's rather depressing for the end of March. Sunshine came in my front door this morning in the form of a friend though. D lived across the street from us for about 22 years and she and her husband moved out-of-state last year. I've missed her so much! She's back in town for a short visit, so she came to visit me this morning for coffee and chat. D gave me such a lovely compliment when she walked in my front door. She looked around my living room and said, "Your house is so pretty. Your photos don't do it justice." I thought that was so sweet, especially since I'm still working on my living room and staring at a blank fireplace wall and an antique buffet that desperately needs a makeover. To brighten my day even more, Brian and I are meeting Tim for dinner at a restaurant in-between our house and his. I'm so glad he's at a school where he can come home for a weekend every once in awhile and where we can meet up with him for dinner.

I don't decorate much for Easter anymore, but I do enjoy my collection of bunnies. I placed a few on some shelves in the kitchen. I especially love the little Beatrix Potter teapot on the top shelf.


I put the rest of my bunnies and a couple of other Easter-related items on top of the dresser in my office. Silly me for thinking plants and breakables were safe up here.


 Nothing is safe from naughty kitties! The little plate that I was using as a saucer for the orchid was so pretty and one of my faves. But the plant seems to be OK and that bunny that's underneath the dresser somehow survived with nary a chip! {Sorry for the poor photo quality of this picture but when I heard the crash and went to investigate, I had my phone on me so used it for an evidence photo. ;-) }


"Wasn't me. I don't move from my sunbeam."


"Not me, either. I was napping on your nice quilt."

 
"Um, I was busy washing myself."
 

 I think I found my culprit. Happy Thursday, everyone!


24 comments:

  1. The cats look so innocent. I think that's a "cat thing" - acting like they know nothing about what happened!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty kitty. My Tucker was naughty like that if he wanted my attention and I didn't give it fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch... sorry that happened. I'm glad your bunny survived at least.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh---those naughty kitties! lol I love how innocent a cat ALWAYS looks. Glad your bunny survived but sorry about the broken mess. Hope you have a good, accident free, evening. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor you! I like your collection of bunnies. From what I know about kitties..they have ownership rights. And they love to claim every surface in the house.

    Good for you having your friend compliment you on your home...it takes a fresh eye! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your bunny made the trip down in one piece. Sorry about your fave plate, doesn't that always happen you most favorite one breaks, never fails. Our Little One acts like she "lets" us stay here just to take care of her every whim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the white shelves Melanie.
    Oh such a shame you lost your much-loved little plate, the bunny staying in one piece with those big bunny ears was certainly lucky! The cats are gorgeous and look so innocent - you don't really think one of those lovelies was responsible surely?

    Happy weekend - hope it warms up for you.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad there wasn't too much damage...your kitties all seem to have an alibi lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty springy photos of your cute shelves, Melanie! It's always a lift when a friend comes into your home and appreciates the pretty, warm, and welcoming atmosphere that we work hard to create for our family and friends. I think your home is exactly that kind of place...a place to linger and enjoy sweet friendship!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, your kitties are so pretty...even the naughty one! lol! I have a few kitties myself, so I have a few mishaps around my house, too. I'm visiting from Brenda's blog. We are both featured in her Six on Saturday post today. You have a nice blog and I see we have several of the same interests besides kitties such as thrifting, gardening and more. I'm your newest follower. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh cats can look so innocent those little devils.

    Stopping in from Over 40 Bloggers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've lost many a breakable to naughty kitties. My Charlie is getting older now and doesn't jump up as much as he use too. Love the photos of your furry one's! I came to visit from Brenda's Cozy Little House blog.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Melanie,
    I saw that you are in Northern Illinois when I was leaving a comment on Ash Tree Cottage and I just became a reader. I am in Richmond, IL, and I can see we have some things in common. I look forward to viewing your posts and exploring past posts. -Ginene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad about the saucer. But cats are so adorable, they can break a thing every now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  15. They were probably after the plants! They look real innocent! I came over from the Over 40 group :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear! That was one silly kitty! I'm sure he (or she) has been long forgiven!! Our dear kitty who was with us until the ripe old age of 18, used to love all plants and flowers. Especially cut flowers in a vase. I don't know how many knocked over/broken vases I went through until I realized Muffin and flowers in a vase definitely DID NOT go together in the same house.

    My solution was to only have the flowers out in the open when I was in the room or put safely safe behind a closed door when I couldn't keep my eyes on him or I needed to venture off to work each day. It then seemed silly putting flowers behind closed doors all day so flowers were banned until Muffin passed on. Each time I put my flowers in a vase now, it makes me remember our sweet boy. We only have the 2 dogs now and they're totally uninterested in flowers. Definitely not sophisticated like dear Muffin!

    Your cats are absolutely beautiful (and obviously mischievous).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it was that last one.. he looks guilty. I enjoyed scrolling down reading your blog.. I was very impressed with the English muffins, sourdough and ground flour. I love sourdough and have some from a starter that supposed to be 200 years old. I also have a wheat grinder.. I need to use it again. Nice to meet you! Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those darn cats. They make our lives absolutely miserable at times... but I sure wouldn't want to live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Naughty kitties! I used to have two, and one of them would always look at the other when anything went wrong :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. KItties can definitely be naughty. How nice that you had a surprise visit from your friend. Love all your sweet Easter decor. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope all the rest of your beautiful things will be OK, everything looks so nice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry about that. Those things sadly happen when we have our fun babies. One may be guilty but all look quite lovable and so easy to forgive. I grew up in a Chicago suburb and went to college in Lake Forest so I know how cold it can still be at this time of the year. Hope spring shows up for you soon. I'm stopping by from our Over 40 group.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was NOBODY...the same one that used to do things when my boys were growing up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!