Friday, January 30, 2015

let's talk about love

 The well problems are mostly over. Yes, we have water now (and it tastes wonderful)
 but the pressure wasn't good today. When Brian got home from work, he figured out that 
there is still sediment being filtered and with all that sediment clogging up the house filter 
(which is a must when you have a well), it was slowing the water pressure down. He
 changed the filter and the pressure is good once again. Hopefully, that's the end of
 the sediment. We'll see. Brian might be changing the filter several times. And it's a real
 pain because you have to turn the water to the house off. And the filters are also expensive.

On to a better subject: Love. And Valentine's Day. The colors of this holiday ~ red and 
pink ~ are cheery in the middle of the bleak winter. There's heart-shaped everything.
You have an excuse to eat a few chocolates. Remember in grade school when you had
 to give a little Valentine to everyone in your classroom? And you  decorated a shoebox with
 a hole in the lid so that you could collect Valentines from your classmates? I don't think kids
 do that anymore. 

I like putting small touches of Valentine's Day decor around the house and
decorating the china cabinet in the kitchen.


The soft hearts on the top shelf were made by Carol at Art and Sand. The heart plate in 
the middle was a Target find from last year and the "love" glasses flanking the plate were
 from the Dollar Tree years ago.


This bowl was found at Target last year, too. I love the little bird perched on 
the edge! (Psst...have a chocolate.)


On top of the dresser in my office...that's a photo of my precious boys from a long time
ago in the notepad holder. A puffy fabric heart - another from Carol - says "sweet".


I found these LED heart lights at Target today in the dollar bins (they were $3) and
hung them across Phil's memory shelf. They look so pretty lit up at night. I think I'll
keep them there year-round.



A little vignette on top of the secretary desk in the master bedroom...


"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
(Mother Teresa)


22 comments:

  1. Your Valentine's Day decorations are lovely, Melanie. And such a sweet tribute to your boy.

    We have well water, too, and it has been okay so far, though we just got a new water heater and whole house filter. It IS a lot of upkeep, for sure!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a new water heater last August and have that whole house filter, too.

      Delete
  2. I love your Valentine's decorations, Melanie. I especially love the vignettes around your desk. You'll be happy to know that my kids still do Valentines that way in their school! They only ask that we give one to every child and that we don't put our kids' names on them, so nobody feels left out in either direction. My daughter's class will even be having a Valentine's breakfast! Pancakes, bacon, fruit, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that some schools still do the Valentines! Very sweet how your daughter's class will even be having a special breakfast.

      Delete
  3. We do get to decorate boxes for the boys to take to preschool this year. I'm looking forward to doing that this week (Jess is having surgery the next week, so we have to work ahead a bit). We're making their Valentines next week as well.
    I agree that the pops of red and pink add a bit of cheer to the drab of mid-winter. The boys love when we decorate for holidays, so the Valentine's Day decorations will be added over the week as well.
    Glad your well problems are taken care of now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet that even pre-school is doing the boxes and the Valentines! Sorry to hear that Jess is having surgery.

      Delete
  4. Your little touches of Valentines here and there are so charming. I wish I had some of your motivation. I host a Valentine Tea Party every year for my granddaugthers and a few of their friends (the moms get to join in too). I need to get busy and get my decorations out. Thanks for sharing.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that you host a Valentine tea party! I'm sure your granddaughters and their friends love it. The moms, too.

      Delete
  5. What a fun cabinet and lovely display.

    I started putting out Valentine decor in the house yesterday and have some more ideas for today.

    Thanks for the shout out!

    I am still trying to decide if I am going to tempt myself by setting out chocolate hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, those chocolates don't tempt me. I eat just one late at night, if at all.

      Delete
  6. All so lovely! You are a wonderful "home keeper."
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say. Thanks, Brenda.

      Delete
  7. Melanie, such sweet touches of love around your home. Carol's crafts are so pretty, and I really like the red and white bowl with the birdie on the rim! Yes, what a wonderful idea to keep the heart light garland up all year round, to be close to Phil's memory shelf. And, what an amazing quote by Mother Teresa; so very true.

    Wishing you a warm and cozy week ahead!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your sweet compliments, Poppy.

      Delete
  8. Very cute touches of Valentine Melanie! I haven't done a thing to decorate for VDay and I doubt I will this year. I'm still trying to get my living room stuff unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's a lot of work to do with unpacking...I don't blame you for not decorating for Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your water issues seem to be resolved! Your holiday hearts brighten up your home and remind me that I should take out a few of my own. I love the cute bowl with the bird perched on the rim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad that the water situation is better! It really makes you realise how much you rely on something so very basic doesn't it. Your little touches of valentines decorations are so pretty!! You know that I love that you change things around for the seasons! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never take things like water and electricity for granted...we've been without both and neither one is any fun! Glad you like my Valentine's Day decor...thanks.

      Delete
  11. Your Valentine decorations are so pretty, Melanie...I really need to do something here. I do remember decorating the shoeboxes and passing out Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your decorations are beautiful. Can't wait to see them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!