Thursday, December 4, 2014

spiffing up the living room for christmas

 I started my Christmas decorating this week. I don't do any major decorating, but still
have enough decor where it looks like my house exploded until I get everything into
place. Which takes all week because I take my time...and I constantly tweak stuff.


 For today, I'll take you on a little tour of my living room. Instead of decorating "big", I 
prefer to add little touches here and there. I found this vintage sled, ornaments and
Christmas cards at an antique shop several years ago.


 These nesting Santas were found last year at Goodwill.


 A trio of miniature vintage mice decorate my collection of Mary Oliver books.
Mary's my favorite poet, by the way.


I kept the fall runners on the buffet (the burlap bird one was made by Judy of 20 North Ora).
I think they easily transition into Christmas mode with other touches of burlap, as in the little
tree on the shelf, and with touches of gold and red. On the other side of the buffet is our
tabletop Christmas tree, but I'm still decorating it, so I didn't take any photos. I use this
tree to display my boy's childhood ornaments. We don't put up a big tree anymore.


If you've been a follower of my blog for awhile, you know that I don't have a proper
foyer in my home. When you walk in the front door, you are smack dab in the living
room. This is the wall to the left when you walk through the door. I kept the console
table very simple on purpose...as I'm re-doing this area! I'm trying to make it more
foyer-like and guest friendly. I ordered a really cool light blue leather mid-century
bench from Overstock. It will go in place of this console table - which will be going
downstairs behind the sofa. The bench will be much lower than the console table,
so the wall gap between the bench and the mirror will look awkward. For now, I'll
fill in the area with some pillows on the bench, against the wall. I do have a long term
plan/redecorating idea. ;-)


Another last year Goodwill find, tucked among the floor plants by the fireplace.


 How are you coming along on your holiday decorating?
 


19 comments:

  1. Looks good. I didn't do nearly as much as I have before for several reasons. Inside and outside are as done as the are going to be. This month will go so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no rules about decorating for Christmas. You only do what you feel like doing and are capable of doing. If all you do is put a wreath on your front door and call it a day, that's good enough. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love all of your wonderful treasures. I'm kind of similar in taking my time decorating for the holidays. Even though we have our tree up, I'll still find myself moving ornaments around to different branches that seem to work better and I've learned to ignore my husband when he shakes his head at me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piles of bags and bins are a familiar sight because I've been tripping over mine for 2 days already! You've found some cute holiday items at the thrift this year, Melanie! I can't wait to see the bench you chose for your entryway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was just the beginning of the mess in the living room, lol. It's all cleaned up now though. Just think - in only a few weeks, we get to do it all over again, but in reverse! I can't wait to see how the bench looks, too. I'm a little nervous about it because I ordered something "different". Hubby thought I should've purchased a different one (my 2nd choice) but I told him to trust me on this one. It's supposed to be delivered Monday, so time will soon tell.

      Delete
  4. LOL Love the first pic! :) Smack dab into the living room here, too.

    My grandkids love nesting stuff. I have a nesting doll set that a Ukrainian customer sent to me and they always want to play with that. They'd be all over your cute find in a minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you notice one of my cats checking out all the stuff in the first pic?! I've always had a fondness for nesting dolls, too. I have a couple of other sets, too.

      Delete
  5. Love those nesting santas, Melanie! I just have one- nothing nesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resale shops are a great place to look for more Santas - if you're interested in having more!

      Delete
  6. I love all your little things here and there, especially that sledge, that is so lovely!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, it's looking lovely and festive; love the vintage mice, how cute are they?! Mary Oliver, huh? I've heard her recite some of her work, (can't remember the site), and enjoyed it. Billy Collins is my current favourite and I still adore Robert Frost. Hope you get a chance to sit down and take much needed breaks from all the decorating with a hot drink and your favourite poems. I find this always soothes both my aching feet and anxious mind during all the decking of the halls!

    Happy weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Poppy - my two other favorite poets are Billy Collins and Robert Frost! I just read Mary Oliver's latest book of poems, Blue Horses. Unfortunately, I didn't care for this book of poems. I like her older work much better.

      Delete
  8. I'm so far behind, and feeling very overwhelmed! I could actually start crying! don't know what's wrong with me except the Charmer is a mess, hubs is complaining about it and I'm tired of hearing about it. Yours decorations looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cathy, I'm sorry to hear this. Don't be so hard on yourself...if decorating for Christmas is too much work, then don't do it! Like I replied to Debby in the first comment, there are no decorating "rules". You have to do what is best for yourself and your family. Sometimes less is more. {{hugs}}

      Delete
  9. I love all your darling Christmas touches. Apart from some felt snwoflakes, there is no decoration here at the Cottage yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks really good, Melanie. I like that you keep it simple. I try to do that too, in part because my house is fairly small and it just seems cluttered with too many decorations. Also, my kids are still young enough that they can't resist touching everything! They're doing well so far this year. I really like your little mice and the nesting Santas, they add a lot of interest. I think the bench you ordered sounds really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is small too, so I totally get what you're saying about the clutter. I think your kids still touch everything simply because Christmas decorations are so pretty and they are intelligent, curious kids! Bench is coming tomorrow and it will need to be put together, so I'm hoping I can show it to you all sometime this coming week.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!