Tuesday, October 21, 2014

the love of vintage runs in the family

Hello!
I switched a few things around in the living room again.
Here's the before with the white stool and the small chests and lots of plants.
(My plans still stand to get rid of the black and white prints and put up a big 
shelf to use as a mantle.)


I took the large vintage suitcases that I was using beside the couch...


 and stacked them where the stool and smaller chests once were.


I'm now using my grandma's table as a side table where the large suitcases were. 
The lamp base belonged to my grandma, too.


 Speaking of family and their lovely vintage things, this past weekend we
visited extended family 2-1/2 hours south of us. We all connected the past
couple of years when my great-aunt was ill. Otherwise, I hadn't seen these
family members in about 35 years. We all gathered for lunch at a restaurant, then
went to my second cousin's house for dessert and talk. I'd never been to my
cousin's house out in the country. Her dad - my great-uncle -  used to own an antique
 store (and he still sells antique furniture in a booth at a store) and I knew  she sold 
vintage items on eBay and etsy, so I wasn't surprised that her house was filled with 
beautiful antique furniture and vintage collectibles.


This was one of my favorite pieces - a library card catalog cabinet.


 Another favorite was this curio cabinet-desk. I love the curved glass of the cabinet
and the leaded glass above the desk area.


A vintage bread board was filled with pumpkins and gourds from my cousin's property
 and used as a centerpiece. 


 I don't have one favorite decorating style ~ I also like contemporary, mid-century
modern, cottage, and a little farmhouse and french country ~ but vintage will always
have my heart.

Sharing this post at Cozy Little House: Tweak it Tuesday.


22 comments:

  1. Wow your vintage roots run deep! Love that library card catalog! Sounds like you had a great time with your extended family! Sometimes changing little things up makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, I love that library catalog cabinet. Wow catching up with your cousins after 35 years! Sounds like my relatives, haven't seen them for yonks.

    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the comments, looks like everyone loves the library card catalog! I'm so glad I've been back in touch with extended relatives; it's been wonderful seeing them again.

      Delete
  3. I like what you did with your suitcases and oh my that card catalog of hers is just gorgeous...I have never seen one with such a lovely finish to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I'm wondering if my cousin refinished it. I'll have to ask her.

      Delete
  4. Love your changes. I think you should share your blog with Brenda to let her know you featured some of her lovely decorations. I totally could live in that house. What a great place to entertain extended family. The only thing I didn't like is the way the wind whips across the open spaces. At least here, the buildings block that cold wind a bit. :-)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather have the open spaces and deal with the wind. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I like the changes you made in your living room. I enjoy seeing how you switch things around and I feel like I'm getting to know your stuff and the room from following your blog. :) Your cousin's antiques are amazing. I love those old card catalog cabinets. There's a library near me that kept theirs and now uses it to hold plants. They have just a few drawers open with small potted philodendrons trailing down from them, it's a neat effect. I'm sure they must have to be very careful to protect the wood from water damage, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cool with the little plants in the card catalog drawer. I wonder if they put pieces of plastic or something underneath the plants in the drawer so as to not damage the wood.

      Delete
  6. Your cousin has so lovely pieces, that card cabinet is so unusual and useful isn't it! The tray of gourds is lovely too isn't it. I like seeing the changes that you have made too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card cabinet and the cabinet-desk are both beautiful pieces.
    I think a shelf as a mantel would be a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good idea until we can have a "real" mantel and surround piece made for us someday.

      Delete
  8. I really like stacking suitcases...yours look great next to your fireplace. Our middle son is moving :-( and I'm thinking that stacked suitcases would make a great end table for his living room...and provide storage too. He asked me to basically decorate his new apartment for him...I'm in heaven...especially since it's on his dime!
    That library card catalog cabinet is FABULOUS!!!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of your son to ask you to decorate his apartment - you will have so much fun doing that!

      Delete
  9. Lovely changes, Melanie. I especially love your grandmother's side table and powdery blue lamp; so charming!! How wonderful to have had that little reunion and connect again with your family. I truly miss such occasions living in Europe, away from mine!!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in a beautiful country, but it must be incredibly hard to live so far away from family.

      Delete
  10. I like the changes in your living room, so many neat things to look at and see your personality! A mantel would be neat, especially if you have it before Christmas so you can hang the stockings with care! Ho, ho, ho! Home Depot has all sorts of brackets and they will cut wood to size. Voila!

    I am loving that card catalog, too. I would definitely like to get my hands on one of those, they hold a special place in my heart, I'm sure with all book lovers and the hours we spent in libraries.

    Thanks for the visit. My hand is healing well now that I'm on antibiotics. I'm trying to do a post as long as I can hold my eyes open, a bit of a surprise in that! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about having a piece of wood cut to size at Home Depot and then picking out brackets! Glad to hear your hand is healing.

      Delete
  11. Don't forget your vintage friends, those that also love vintage and some like me who are vintage!
    A card catalog would be perfect for you my book loving friend! xxoo Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never forget my vintage-loving friends. You are far from vintage yourself. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!