Thursday, October 9, 2014

just a few treasures ~ and the reason why


Remember how I used to frequently show you all my latest thrifting treasures?
Notice I haven't done that lately?
There's a good reason: I've only purchased a few goodies in 2-1/2 months!

Here's the few things I've found at Goodwill since the beginning of August.
(I found a beautiful light blue Laura Ashley cardigan and olive corduroy jacket
from the Gap at the local Savers right before it went out of business, but I 
normally don't take photos of clothes.)
I'm a big fan of Lisa Lill Studio handbags. She's a local Chicago designer.
This small velvet handbag will be perfect for dressier fall occasions. 


 I've been carrying this heavy cotton Lisa Lill bag this fall and love how it's
casual, sturdy, and pretty. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. There's nothing
like pretty bags ~ especially when they only cost $5!


 These lovely plates were only 99 cents each. They'll be pretty on the kitchen
table in the summer.


 Many years ago, my aunt gave me this August teacup for my birthday.
I was thrilled to find the matching plate last month!


 Of course, I couldn't pass up this cute, colorful kitty print. It's hanging in the 
main bath.


 Love these pretty teacups and saucers made by Grand Duchess Taste Setter
 by Sigma (Japan). 


 So...there's a reason I haven't been thrifting much. When you've lived in the same house
for over 24 years and you've raised two kids in that house, you accumulate a lot of stuff.
When my friend moved this summer, I saw how much stuff she had to (and wanted to) get
rid of. She said it was very freeing, and I believe it. I know how good it feels to get certain
spaces cleaned out and to let some of that clutter go. I was determined to stop bringing
in so much "stuff" and to continue decluttering ~ especially my messy basement. I just
donated 14 bags of miscellaneous household items, books, and clothing yesterday.


Here's the neighbor's maple tree today. Such beauty.


 Happy almost-weekend!


30 comments:

  1. I am really trying not to buy much stuff either. It is easy to find things in shops, but not so easy to find a place for them in our little house.

    I love that you randomly found the matching plate for your teacup. That is one you had to buy!

    No fall leaves here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the other thing...now when I see cute things in shops, I think, "Where am I going to put this?" If I can't think of a spot, then I don't buy it.

      Delete
  2. It always feels good to de-clutter! Even though I have to buy more because of business, I like to clean out, too. It's great when you can find nice clothing and accessories...saves so much money...love your finds!
    PS Thanks so much for your sweet comment over at Adirondack Girl @ Heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I had a business where I sold these things, it'd be different. Glad you like my finds!

      Delete
  3. I love the print on that 2nd floral handbag; as a matter of fact, I have a living cushion in the very same fabric, recently purchased at Home Sense. You found some lovely items. I too have cut back my thrifting AND I've been bagging up goodies for someone else to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you have a cushion in the same fabric as my purse! I would love a pillow in that fabric.

      Delete
  4. Good job Melanie. You have wonderful taste. Glad you are giving back. My friend came over yesterday and helped clean out the attic above garage, I went up and then handed her the items as I'm afraid to climb down that steep ladder to the hard, hard cement. It took about 1-1/2 hours, mostly stuff from my soap and cosmetic business. Putting the cosmetic jars on ebay and hoping they sell. Have lots of spray bottles too if you need any.
    xoxoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are cleaning out your attic, Mom!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love to get rid of things! It makes me feel better than getting new things at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found some great things. The bags are both very nice and what an amazing find in the August plate. I love getting rid of things. Just five minutes ago, I finished changing over the kids' drawers for fall and bagging up summer things that won't fit next year. My son helped me carry the bags to the garage and we'll take them to the thrift store in a week or so. It feels so good to have that job done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all went through our clothes too and bagged up what doesn't fit anymore or what we didn't wear this summer.

      Delete
  7. Decluttering is definitely something I need to do. Good for you. We all have way much more than we need, that's for sure. Happy weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I hope you are inspired to do a little decluttering, too!

      Delete
  8. I love the pretty little paisley bag, Melanie! I know just how you feel about getting rid of "excess baggage". I brought 2 huge bags of clothing to the Salvation Army today and I hope the warm sweaters and jeans keep somebody in need warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at donating, too - that perhaps it will help someone in need.

      Delete
  9. Well done you on keeping letting things go and donating them. I know that this has been a long project of yours and I am so pleased for you that you have managed to keep going as it is a big and difficult job. I love those little fluted plates that you bought, they are so pretty aren't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the project still continues! Slowly, but surely. Glad you like the plates!

      Delete
  10. Hi Melanie, Look at all those bags that you are dominating . . . I'm so proud of you. it isn't easy letting go, but once it is done . . . like you said "So Freeing". I notice that you shop at Trader Joe's . . . I Love That Store! Wish we had one in our little town:) I have been trying to not buy so much either, but there is that thrill of the hunt and sometimes I just can not resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joes is one of my favorite stores. The closest one to me is a 20 minute drive - not too bad. Oh, I know what you mean about the thrill of the hunt!

      Delete
  11. I know what you mean about clearing out the clutter...such a good feeling! I cleaned out some closets several months ago, and it feels so good! Your selective finds are lovely, Melanie. Love your new purses.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel "guilty" about bringing two more purses into my home as I recently got rid of some old ones, too.

      Delete
  12. I like the kitty picture. Perfect choice for your home.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly have some lovely treasures, Melanie! The teacups and saucers are adorable; so cheery. For the last couple of years, I've had the need to edit a lot of stuff, from clothes to knick knacks to books, etc., and it felt really good! The older I get, the less stuff I want/need, and more quality time with loved ones.

    Happy Tuesday!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Poppy. Thanks for your always-so-sweet comments.

      Delete
  14. So funny to read this post as I posted about the clutter that has taken over my house today as well. The china is so lovely and the colors are fun. The kitty picture is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny...I guess great minds think alike!

      Delete
  15. Yes, I'm trying to get by with less, so thrifting would be a big no-no for me! I want less clutter, not more. But I still have a lot of hot spots to go through, I find it overwhelming to even think about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Robin. My basement is definitely my hot spot.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!