Tuesday, February 26, 2013

bedroom gallery wall

 Hello, friends!  I spent the weekend in Des Moines, Iowa.
I traveled with a friend whose college son was performing in the musical,
Next to Normal. I'm glad we had sunny, clear weather for travel as it was
snowing before we left and now it's snowing here once again. It's coming down
fast and furious with whipping winds. My son works for a pizza restaurant where
he's one of the delivery persons, and his manager was actually considerate enough
to call him and tell him that their restaurant was not doing deliveries tonight.
This mama is relieved!

Even though I plan on re-doing my entire bedroom, including the wall
color, I was tired of looking at the plain, boring walls ~ so I created a small
gallery wall above my grandma's secretary desk.
I simply shopped my house - went through my collection of pictures,
frames, and mirrors that I have stashed in my basement.


My grandma's desk is a beautiful piece, but it's missing the handles on the
front, which makes it really difficult to open. I think this piece would also benefit
from a re-do with paint.

 

I got this jewelry stand at World Market. I like how it can hold a variety of
jewelry...bracelets, rings, and earrings.


And, I used a cake stand (thrift shop!) to hold some perfumes.
I like using household items in unexpected ways.

Thanks for visiting with me today. I love and appreciate all your comments!


16 comments:

  1. Nice arrangement of pictures Mel. Maybe look into Restoration Hardware too see if you can find a handle for your grandma's desk that matches the others. It was a nice visit of your things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion of Restoration Hardware, Susan - great idea!

      Delete
  2. Your gallery wall looks great! And even better that all you had to do was shop the house. I really like the desk and I hope you get knobs, it really is a wonderful old piece.

    We just had a pizza delivered! The guy said the streets weren't that bad. It seems to be melting fast.

    Hope you had a good time in Des Moines!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments, Jane! I did have a good time in Des Moines, but it went way too quickly for that much travel. The streets are still really bad here - we're getting hammered much more than the City.

      Delete
  3. I really like the cake stand for your perfumes. I like to use things in unexpected places. We have plenty of snow here in Chicagoland. Good thing about February snow is that it doesn't last very long. Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. Hopefully our snow will be gone soon!

      Delete
  4. Love your gallery wall! I just did the same thing in my family room. I gathered pictures from here and there and hung them all together. Wish we had some of your snow here in TN! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Melissa! I would love to send you some of our snow.

      Delete
  5. Your grandma's desk is really a pretty piece. I bet you could find replacement handles on ebay or have you tried VanDyke's Restorers? They have on online catalog, too, and just about any kind of hardware you are looking for. Your gallery wall looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have never heard of Van Dyke's Restorers. Will take a look online.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea to shop your own home. Your vignette is so pretty and I really like your clever use of the cake stand. I've been tempted to paint some of my grandmother's pieces also because they're so dark. Thanks for sharing and for your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your jewelry stand....that is amazing...and now, of course....I want one too.


    Thanks for sharing your treasures. STop by to visit with me too sometime.
    Ciao bella.
    Creative Carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love shopping your house? Great wall. That console has GREAT potential and I bet it's a sturdy piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I had the "gumption" to go ahead and do something with the secretary desk. Wanna come over and help me?!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!